Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Comic Book Writing

I have to admit it, I have been out of the comic loop ever since we started our hiatus oh so long ago. But since we are back I have been catching up on my comic book reading. What does this have to do with the Title of this blog? Well, as some of you may know, I am writing my very own comic book which I intend to self publish and I have been.....critical of my penciler because he doesn't draw EXACTLY what I write. This is very frustrating for me because I take a lot of pride in my work and it takes me a long time to do it. So when a penciler takes..."liberties" it is upsetting.

Now here is where everything comes together.

I picked up and just read"The Avenges: Disassembled" and in the back of the book there was an interview with the witter and penciler as well as a few pages of script and corresponding penciled pages. It was the same thing. The penciler didn't draw what the writer wrote. As I write this, I"m not sure if I more upset or relieved. I mean if this is a normal thing, then my penciler is doing a bang up job. But on the other hand, if this is the norm, I have nothing to look forward to......


10/21/08 update: I finished my book and the preview issue is out. While talking to many creators, it seems that there are many ways to do a book. The Marvel way, which really is more of a colaboration between the writer and the penciler and the more strict, full script (which is how I do it). Seems that neither is wrong. Good to know.

No comments: