Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"As with all of my movie reviews, this will be a free flowing discussion so spoilers may be mentioned"

I remember when I used to say that 3 times per show when we had a movie review show. Anyways...here is my

Spirit Movie Review

A lot (and I mean ALOT) of people is trashing this movie. I saw it Sunday night and I thought it was OK. Yes, just OK. I cam see what Frank Miller was going for, and I think it was hit or miss at times. Now I have never read, (nor even really heard of) The Spirit, so I went in with no expectations at all. Well, almost, I knew that the "style" of the movie was supposed to be like Sin City.

The movie started off on a down note but it tried to work its way back to to an OK movie (I mean Having the Hero and main villain fight in the first few minutes of the movie is never a good thing, cause where do you go from there?). We did have a bump or two along the way, such as the use of a cell phone in what appeared to be a period movie and the oh-so-bad-over-the-top acting that if you take it seriously for one second, you will not be able to enjoy this movie. By the time we got to the end of the movie was all set for whatever they decided to throw at me, but I was so wrong....

Here we are at the climax of the movie. we are led to believe that The Octopus has killed The Spirit for good this time, the Femme Fatale and the Octopus' side kick (played by the oh-so-hot Eva Mendes and Scarlett Johansson respectively) are facing off and the place is surrounded by cops. Now for no reason at all, the Commissioner (played by the guy who was the dad in the "Wonder Years") decided to call in an all out assault on the Octopus (aren't they supposed to arrest people?). When I say "all out" I mean ALL OUT! every cop starts shooting, and they bring in the helicopters to shoot at one man just to make sure they got him! I was like what the hell? I'm still shocked about that 3 days later!

Like I said, it was an OK movie, something that probably will get alot of airtime on network TV/basic cable in the years to come.

No comments: