Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A little more behind the scenes

So, 2 weeks ago (our 5-3-07 show) was another crazy one. More so than our previous one. The show was supposed to be about the movie "The Invisible". New girl Jess, wasn't going to be able to do the show and Hassan had major car trouble that week, so it was most likely that he hadn't seen the movie, and Jennifer was going to be on a Cruise. So it was up to me and Pete to see the movie and do the show.

Because of scheduling, Pete and I had to see the movie the day of the show. as an added bonus, after the show we were going to see special screening of Spidey 3 at the movie theater I work at on the weekends. So the day was to be like this:

Meet Pete
go see Invisible
Go to radio station
race back to see Spidey 3 (the screening was at 10pm)

Pete had to work his regular job that morning so we had to see the early afternoon show of Invisible. No problem, still have plenty of time to make it to the station.

I get a call at 4:30pm when we are supposed to meet.

Pete tells me that he just got up and there was no way he could get to me to see the show. Frantic, I told him to get there ASAP and I would figure something out. He had no minutes on his phone, so I told him to call me at a payphone when he was near. So during this time I decided to eat, make some calls and play bowling on my phone as I waited.

I get a call at 5:45pm.

It's a fellow employee from the theater asking me for a ride and informing me that the Spidey 3 screening is at 9:30 instead of 10!

Then my phone dies.

So now I have to go into the subway and hope that I see Pete come out of the train.

It's 7pm. No Pete, no movie.

So at this point I have to figure that Pete came, didn't see me, couldn't contact me and went home. So I left.

Now I had to think of a new show. At best it would be me and Hassan (if he actually made it to the station). So I had to go to the mall and get a car charger for my phone (it would take me to long to go home and charge the phone there and then make any phone calls and then head to the station).

Got the charger. It's almost 8pm now.

Turns out that Peter tried to (well, he actually did) call me 7 times. He was still there! So I had to go get him. Made a few calls, and got a Penciler to be a call in guest. Also made sure Hassan was going to be in the studio.

So here I am , past 8 and going in the opposite direction of the station to go and get Pete. AND I still have no idea exactly where he is, cause in each message he says "I'm gonna walk around". Rule #1 when you don't have a cell phone and you are meeting someone who is not answering his phone. Stay put by the phone.

It's 8:30 now. I decided that there is no way I can get Pete and make it to the station in time. Since I didn't want a repeat of the previous weeks show (see the last Tuesday's post), I had to turn around and leave him there hoping he would call again so I could tell him to go home.

As soon as I turn around he calls. I tell him the situation and also tell him about Spidey 3. He's like "Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

Not more than 2 minutes later He calls back. Turns out that he didn't bring extra cash with him b/c I usually drive him home after the show and he used up all his change trying to call me. So he was stranded. Rule #2 when ever going anywhere, make sure you have train/bus fare on your metrocard.

I just made it to the station.........

10/21/08 update: Boy, what a day that was. I should have just did my own thing. Saved myself the hassle. Looking back, I regret all the little extra things I did. I think I made the business too personal.

No comments: